If you are planning to buy a water purifier or thinking to replace your old one with a new purifier, then this buying guide will help you out. The reason behind writing this buying guide is that I have received many emails from people who were confused about what points to consider while buying a purifier. Many were going for an expensive option, whereas some did not even know the basic thing about a purifier and yet were planning to buy it!
Water Purifier in India is not “good to have” but its a “must-have”, given the kind of urbanization and pollution we are facing as we grow as a nation. while we all are hopeful that things will be better but as individuals and families, one must give maximum focus on the purity of the water you are drinking. Water can become a source of multiple health issues if you are not drinking pure water.
What is a water purifier?
A water purifier is an appliance that eliminates contaminants from the water in order to make it safe for humans to consume. It removes all kinds of impurities from the water such as dust particles, suspended solids, dissolved minerals and more.
This device helps in killing all the germs, fungus, bacteria, and viruses from the water. There are different types of purifiers available in the market, which are different from each other on the basis of their functionality and the technology they use to purify water. A water purifier uses different filters to remove all types of impurities from water.
Water Purifier Buying Guide
Know about your tap Water Quality
The first step is to understand the kind of water that comes into your house. The water at your tap may be sourced from lakes, rivers or other natural sources, or it could be supplied directly from municipal lines. Depending on where you live, the quality of water available for consumption varies drastically. To find out what kind of water you get in your house, get a lab test done. This will give you a detailed idea about the condition of your drinking water and what contaminants might be present in it.
Understanding your source of supply will help you choose the right technology that is used to purify the water. There are different types of purification technologies available in the market today like UV (Ultra Violet), UF (Ultra Filtration), RO (Reverse Osmosis) and more. There are also multiple variants within each of these technologies based on additional features and benefits they offer like energy saving, mineral booster, etc.
Select Right Size/Capacity of Water Purifier
Water purifiers are often referred to by the capacity of their water storage tanks. The most common capacities available in India range from 5 liters to 10 liters. You need to keep in mind that a family of 4-5 people will require at least 15 liters of purified water every day, so a 7 or even 10-litre storage tank will not be sufficient. If you are looking for an efficient water purifier, it’s important to consider the number of hours per day you spend at home and how much-purified water is required during that time.
While choosing a size, keep in mind that you’ll need about 5 liters for drinking and cooking purposes per person per day. For example, a family of 4-5 people should opt for a 10-15 liter capacity.
Types of water purifiers
UV Water Purifier
A UV system uses a UV lamp that emits a short-wave ultraviolet light that is lethal to bacteria and viruses. The UV light destroys the microorganisms by penetrating their cell walls and altering their DNA structure. It renders the cells unable to reproduce, thereby preventing them from infecting other organisms.
UV Water Purifier is one of the most popular choices for home and commercial use. Most of the UV water purifiers come with various features, such as auto cut-off, TDS controller, digital display, and others. We have compiled a list of the best UV water purifiers available in India along with their features.
Their only downside is that they cannot remove dissolved contaminants like pesticides, salts, heavy metals or chlorine from water. So if you have a major source of contamination in your tap water like dissolved salts or heavy metals, then you will have to use them along with RO or UF type filters.
RO Water Purifier
Reverse Osmosis (RO) is an effective technique used for removing unhealthy contaminants from water. This technology works on the principle of osmosis which states that if two solutions with different solute concentrations are separated by a semi-permeable membrane, then solvent molecules will pass through that membrane to equalize concentration on both sides.
The major reason for using RO water purifiers is the removal of dissolved impurities, salts, heavy metals and harmful chemicals. However, it also removes essential minerals from the water. To add back these minerals some RO water purifiers have an additional feature of a mineral cartridge.
This type of purifier can be used in areas where there is a large concentration of dissolved solids (beyond 500 ppm) and salinity in water.
UF Water Purifier
Ultra-filtration is a method where water passes through a membrane having pores that are in the nanometer range to remove microorganisms from the raw water without using chemicals or electricity. Thus, filtered water has a high purity level and can be used for drinking purposes.
UF removes particulate matter and bacteria from the water. This type of filtration is perfect for purifying brackish water and surface water. Most of the UF membranes come with 5-micron pore sizes that can filter out particles as small as 0.01 microns. These filters are capable of removing 99% of all bacteria, viruses, and cysts from the water.
These types of water purifiers have a combination of all three technologies and are considered one of the most effective waters purifying methods in India. These types of water purifiers remove both dissolved impurities as well as harmful bacteria and viruses from contaminated water and make it fit for consumption. The RO membrane removes heavy metals like lead, arsenic, etc. The UV lamp kills any existing microorganisms in the water and UF removes suspended impurities to further make it fit for drinking purposes.
How to select a water filter Based on TDS Level
Well, we recommend you should decide on RO or another type of Water Purifier based on TDS Level. We recommend following the below metric to arrive at which type of water Purifier will best suit your need.
For this you should first buy a TDS meter from marker or order online, these are fairly cheap and can be used in the future as well whenever you want to measure the TDS level of your drinking water.
- When TDS is less than 200: Go for UV, UF Water Purifier
- For TDS is greater than 200: go for RO Water Purifier
- TDS is greater than 2000- A typical Domestic Water Purifier will not help here you should buy a water softening solution.
These are the best RO water purifier in India
1.Eureka Forbes Aquaguard Aura
Eureka Forbes can be labeled as one of the best Water purifiers in India. This water purifier comes with a unique 8 Stages of Purification Technology. Various stages of filtration are as follows
- Chemi Block
- Patented Mineral Guard
- The Taste Adjuster (MTDS)
- RO Membrane
- UV-C Purification
- Ultra Filtration
- Active Copper Technology.
- Comes with Patented Active Copper Technology: With the power of copper that instantly infuses copper ions with other minerals essential to the water. Copper is antimicrobial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties that aid in maintaining a healthy metabolism. Copper also assists in providing your body with vitality and is essential to help develop and grow.
- Comes with Mineral Guard Technology to keep all the essential minerals like Calcium and Magnesium that provide the perfect mix of healthy and safe drinking water.
- UV-C technology guarantees that each bit of water you drink is just as clean and safe as water boiling in 20 minutes.
- Ultra Filtration adds crystal clear drinking water, in addition to keeping it free of bacteria and viruses* UV+UF kills viruses.
- Not everyone requires copper technology
2. HUL Pureit Copper+ Mineral RO + UV Tabletop / Wall Mountable Black & Copper 8 liters Water Purifier
- It can be used for water with TDS levels up to 2000 ppm
- Comes with Copper infusion technology, ideal for boosting immunity, digestion, and overall wellbeing
- Dual water dispensing technology is apt for people who just want RO water without copper
- It has large Storage up to 8 Liters
- Demo experience can vary as per your location
3. Blue Star Eleanor 8-Liter,RO + UV + UF + IBT + Alkaline Water Purifier
- Triple layered RO+UV+UF protection
- Alkaline Antioxidant Water (with added minerals)
- High purification capacity
- Copper impregnated activated carbon
- Tank full indicator
4. V-Guard Zenora RO+UV+MB 7 Litre Water Purifier With 8 Stage Purification
Can Treat Water with TDS Upto 2000ppm - Suitable For Borewell, Tanker and Municipal Water
Made For Indian Water Conditions | 8 Stage Advanced Purification | Double Layer Protection with RO + UV | Delivers Natural Taste | Intelligent Design - Protects Sensitive RO and Enhances Life
Free External Pre-Filter | 7L Large Storage Tank | LED Indicators | Wall Mount and Table Top Installation
True One Year Comprehensive Warranty - Covers RO Membrane, Filters and Electrical Parts |Two Pre-Emptive Maintenance Services | On-Call Support
Free Installation and Pan-India Service Support
5. HUL Pureit Advanced Pro Mineral RO+UV 6 stage wall mounted
- HUL Pureit Advanced Pro Mineral RO+UV provides 6-stage purification to ensure 100% RO water. It enriches water with minerals like calcium and magnesium to provide pure and sweet drinking water
- Color: Black, Capacity: 7 litres, Power: 36 watts, Input Water Temperature: 10˚ to 40˚C, Operative Input voltage: 110 -240V;50Hz, Material tank type: Food grade engineered plastic
- Included in the box: Water Purifier, Installation Kit, External Sediment Filter
- This Purifier comes with a Smart Power Saving Mode and can also run without a voltage stabilizer
- Can be used for TDS up to 2000 ppm. Designed to treat multiple sources of water: Borewell, Tanker, or Tap water
6. KENT Supreme Wall Mountable, RO + UF + TDS Control Water Purifier
- Multiple purification process by RO+UF+TDS Control which removes even dissolved impurities such as arsenic, rust, pesticides and fluorides, and kills bacteria and viruses to make water pure and suitable for consumption. The in tank UV LED keeps purified water pure for longer duration.
- TDS control system allows adjustment of TDS level of purified water which retains essential natural minerals in drinking water.
- Suitable for purification of brackish/tap water/ municipal water supply. Capacity: 8 liters, high purification capacity of 20 liters per hour.
- Country of Origin: India
- Wall mounted design- best suited for domestic purpose. Compact Design which needs lesser space for installation.
7. LIVPURE PEP Star 7 L RO+UV+UF+TDS Water Purifier(White)
- It comes with RO+UV + UF + Taste Enhancer technology. It is available with a modern and stylish style for kitchens.
- Comes with a standard 7 liters capacity enough for Indian household needs and is able to be mounted on the wall of your kitchen. Its RO membrane is capable of removing up to 75-80 gallons of water every day.
- Comes with standard Seven stages for purification, such as the initial stage which is Sediment Filter This stage is when water flows through the sediment filter at high speed in order to remove tiny and fine impurities.
- It has a Pre-Activated Carbon Filter cum Adsorber which effectively gets rid of bad taste, color, and odor-producing organic matter from water.
- After-sales service was an issue for some customer
8. V-Guard Zenora RO+UF+MB 7 Litre Water Purifier
- Made For Indian Water Conditions | 7 Stage Advanced Purification | Double Layer Protection with RO + UF | Delivers Natural Taste | Intelligent Design - Protects Sensitive RO & Enhances Life
- True One Year Comprehensive Warranty - Covers RO Membrane, Filters and Electrical Parts | replacement of 2 Pre-Filters | Two Pre-Emptive Maintenance Services | On-Call Support
- Free External Pre-Filter | 7L Large Storage Tank | LED Indicators | Wall Mount & Table Top Installation
- Can Treat Water with TDS up to 2000ppm - Suitable For Borewell, Tanker and Municipal Water
Best Water Purifier Brands In India
Indian market is now flooded with a range of Water purifier brands and everyone is claiming of coming with some unique functionality. As a consumer, you are found to get confused. Here we are bringing some of the most trusted and reliable water purifier brands for your reference.
The brand is the pioneer in India in the field of water purification technology and is a name that is recognized for its innovative approach to this industry. It is among the most trusted and oldest water purifiers in the nation. Eureka Forbes has been providing water purifying products for a long time in India and has a wide range of water purifiers that have different technology that makes them suitable for various types of water supplies in various regions. The range of prices at which Eureka Forbes offers its water purifiers is within the Indian budget of the average consumer. You can pick Eureka Forbes if you are searching for a cheap water purification system.
HUL is another renowned brand for water purifying systems in India. It stands for Hindustan Unilever Limited, HUL is a dependable manufacturer of kitchen appliances. It has a loyal client base thanks to its high-quality customer service and quick assistance. The products produced by HUL are top-quality and feature the most recent technology, and have top-of-the-line features. All in all, HUL has positive feedback from customers not just about its products, but in addition to the services it provides.
Faber is a household name that is renowned for its kitchen appliances. Faber is a brand that offers world-class facilities and high-quality items. Faber is a dependable brand that provides a quick response to customer problems and queries. The water purifiers provided by Faber feature the latest technology and the finest features.
It’s another upcoming Indian consumer brand. It has gained the trust of consumers for its value-for-money product lineup. Now they have a range of household products right from making inverters to furniture to consumer electronics. Their water purifier is one of best selling online water purifiers on amazon.
Blue Star is known for its extensive range of kitchen and home appliances for Indian households. Blue Star is known as a reliable supplier of high-quality appliances with quick service and reasonable prices for the Indian populace. The brand is trusted and receives a favorable reaction from its loyal customers.
What is Reverse Osmosis (RO) in water Purifier
Reverse osmosis consists of guiding the flow of water towards a semi-permeable conduit that is responsible for retaining the larger molecules. Osmosis filtering systems allow the elimination of almost 100% of contaminating agents from the water, but it must be taken into account that they can also prevent the passage of healthy substances such as magnesium or potassium. To solve this problem, the most recommended alternative is activated carbon filters, which ensure the elimination of contaminating particles but allow the passage of healthy minerals.
Comparing Different Water Purification Techniques Pros and Cons
|Reverse Osmosis (RO)||The water obtained is very clean and can be used to transform non-potable water into potable water.|
The filter only requires replacement every 12 months (this differs depending on the brand and the degree of use of the filter).
|UV water purifier|
Final Thought on best RO in India
In case you still don’t own a water purifier, I think it’s high time you should get one. Water Purifier is a must-have in India, even if you are consuming borewell or Municipality water. Soil and Waterbody Pollution in India makes it almost unfit for direct drinking.
In case you don’t want to invest in a water purifier, I suggest you should boil your drinking water, at least it will kill the majority of germs and bacteria. To removed metal impurities, it may still require proper filtration methodology to make them fit for drinking
You can refer to our recommendation to make the best choice before buying a water purifier.
Editor in Chief at RHK. Digital Nerd, Cloud consultant, Customer evangelists! If you don’t find her reviewing Product and writing content she can be traced back to her Garden, experimenting with new Plants!
Last update on 2022-05-20 / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API